Is it Time for a Cleanse?
Is it Time for a Cleanse?
Spring is just around the corner, it’s time to start thinking about spring cleaning! I’m not just talking about washing your windows and switching out your wardrobe… it’s also the perfect time to detox your body and get you in tip-top shape for the warmer weather.
Our bodies are designed to be self-cleaning and to excrete toxins, but in today’s environment between the toxics we consume, breathe, and absorb, it can’t always handle the toxic overload. This causes chemicals to accumulate in our fat cells and cell membranes become internal toxins. These toxins corrode the body from the inside out, making it harder to lose weight, have more energy or generally feel good.
So what is a cleanse?
A cleanse is a gentle way of clearing excess toxins from the body so it can operate at optimal levels. You’ll find that every part of your body works better simply by “switching on” your metabolism through cleansing.
- Shed excess weight (especially belly fat)
- Boost energy
- Feel lighter and cleaner
- Decrease cravings
- Experience deeper sleep and clearer skin
- Improve your digestion (less gas and bloating)
- Decrease congestion and allergy symptoms
- Discover food sensitivities
- Create mindfulness around food: body responses
How will I know if it’s time for me to cleanse?
It’s time for you to cleanse if the answer “YES” to any of these questions:
- You get bloated after eating or experience frequent digestive issues
- You tend to gain weight easily, especially in your belly
- You have extra pounds that won’t come off with diet and exercise
- You have headaches more than occasionally
- You tend to feel lethargic during the day
- You have cravings for sugar or starchy foods
- You experience mood swings or anxiety
- You have difficulty focusing or experience foggy brain
- You have allergies or hayfever
- You experience pain, muscle achiness, or stiffness in your joints
- You feel addicted to foods that you know aren’t good for you... and yet you can’t stop
- You feel anxious, upset, nervous, or downright cranky
Like anything in the health and wellness arena, there are hundreds of options available for cleanses. They typically range from 3 – 14 days and offer a wide variety of supplements or juices to help detoxify your body. I tend to take a more pragmatic approach… In my health coaching practice, I lead my clients through a detailed, step-by-step 14-Day Cleanse, which help you detoxify be eating physiological foods which are easy to digest. This will de-stress and detoxify your system while providing the appropriate nutrients so you won’t feel hungry or weak. As an added bonus through this approach, you will uncover food sensitives that prevent your body from achieving peak performance. Typically I recommend that you do a cleanse at least twice a year – once in the spring, once in the fall – this will help prepare your body for all of the changes that come with the season. Contact me today to learn more what a health coach can do for you!